The Results Are In! City of Brno Announces New Winning Participatory Budgeting Projects
Winning projects included new escalators to the underpass at the train station, support for children with cancer in Brno, and several new sports facilities for Brno’s suburbs. Photo: Project gallery in Malinovskeho namesti. Credit: KK / Brno Daily.
Brno, Dec 3 (BD) – The council’s participatory budgeting initiative “Dáme na vas” allows citizens to vote on how a portion of the council’s financial resources will be spent, based on proposals from other members of the public. The idea is to generate new ideas from people in local communities, and give the city’s residents a more active role. The 14 winning projects from the latest round of participatory budgeting were announced on Saturday morning, including:
- The winning proposal, with 4,662 votes, was to fund and develop a range of support and treatment for children with cancer in Brno. Suggested by Irena Vlahovičová, this project will include various therapies, nutritional counseling, educational programs, provision of leisure activities, assistance services, rehabilitation and educational aids.
- “Trees for life” – a plan to plant 500 trees across Brno.
- A new indoor sports hall in Reckovice
- A new park for Sadova in Kralovo Pole
- “The City Gallery” – a collection of 20-30 murals to be created around Cejl
- A new cycle path from Slatina to Lisen and Marianske udoli
- A new cycle-only path to Brno Dam
- A new ice skating rink in Medlanky
- 50 emergency shelters for homeless people
- “Children Belong In The Playground!” – a new outdoor sports complex in Novy Liskovec
- New drinking water fountains across Brno, with an interactive map of their location
- A pump-track and parkour site in Medlanky
- A bicycle park between Vinohrady and Lisen
- Escalators down to the underpass at the main train station
The winning proposals have varying budgets and anticipated timeframes, but will all share the CZK 35 million budget allocated to the initiative by the council.
Get the news first! Subscribe to our daily newsletter here. Top stories of the day in your mailbox every morning.https://www.brnodaily.com/2019/12/03/news/the-results-are-in-city-of-brno-announces-new-winning-participatory-budgeting-projects/https://www.brnodaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/budgetting-in-Brno-.jpeghttps://www.brnodaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/budgetting-in-Brno--150x112.jpegCzech RepublicBrno,Czech Republic,News,Participatory BudgetingWinning projects included new escalators to the underpass at the train station, support for children with cancer in Brno, and several new sports facilities for Brno’s suburbs. Photo: Project gallery in Malinovskeho namesti. Credit: KK / Brno Daily. Brno, Dec 3 (BD) - The council’s participatory budgeting initiative “Dáme na...Jack Stephens email@example.comAuthorA writer and English teacher originally from London who has lived in Brno since 2011, interested in politics, low culture, and all things strange and/or Czech.Brno Daily